Turning of the Page

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Gravel in Open Wounds

Ever feel that someone is doing or saying something just to rub gravel in open wounds? Ever feel that they enjoy using tweezers to dig it back out for you, as if they were being helpful and caring? Ever feel that you take things too personal even when you know that life is not "all about you" and that "it's not personal"?
When I hear key phrases they are taken more personal than they are intended and it feels like I am skidding across a road after a crash and gravel is being ground into the cuts and scrapes that have occurred. When I say something about how I feel about things that are said I sometimes feel that tweezers are being used to dig out the gravel and sometimes the digging goes deeper and more frequent than it needs to. What I do realize is that these things that are being said are not meant to cause me more pain or to make me feel the way I do; these things that are being said are to keep the other person from feeling more pain and to protect them from things others might say or think, so when I feel that the gravel is in the open wound I need to stop and step back and remember the facts and do my best to not take it so personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment