Turning of the Page

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Fostering Feelings

It has been over a year since we took in our first foster child. She was just over four months old when our home became her home. It has been an adventure full of ups and downs, an emotional rollercoaster, and an experience worth having.
Our whole family has taken a liking to her. She is one of the Reeds now. We have shared two Christmas' and two New Year's, a birthday, a family reunion, and so much more.
Her first crawl, first sitting up, first food, first steps, and first words to name a few. We've had long nights full of tossing and turning and crying. We've had smiles and belly laughs. She has tested my patients by getting into things, repeating actions she has been told "not a choice" and removed from, and she has thrown some temper tantrums that involve banging her head and shrill screams and kicking. There are so many moments we have shared.
In June we had our second foster child join us. This little girl is a year and a day older than our first. She is a relative and so there are more complications that come with that. It puts me in a position that is not always easy and difficult for other family members to understand. I don't make the rules, but I do abide by them for her safety and well-being.
There have been so many changes that have taken place and so many changes on the verge of taking place that sometimes the moments are too much and I find myself lost in a sea of thoughts unable to see the shoreline. The year ended with me feeling lost at sea with a storm brewing, cracking of lightning, roaring of thunder, and waves of emotion crashing over me and flooding my vessel. I have not capsized. I will persevere. I have an able crew of friends and family that are on board with me and willing to help in any way they can and for that I am most grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment